When we talk about a child’s first visit to a children’s dentist, parents get clouded with questions about how to introduce their kid to the concept of a dental checkup. It’s important to understand that the sooner a child is made aware of the importance of regularly visiting a dentist, the more comfortable they will be.
Preparing Your Child for the Visit
The first visit should be the ice-breaker that can establish a friendly and safe atmosphere for your child. By knowing what to expect during this initial visit, you can better prepare your child.You should know about the office and the right questions to ask the pediatric dentist to see if they are:
- Focused on your child’s specific needs.
What to Expect at a Pediatric Dentistry
During your child’s first visit to thedentist, the pediatric dentist will:
- Review the history of your child;
- Respond to your concerns and queries;
- Talk about complete oral health such as teething, development of teeth, soft tissues of cheeks and gums;
- Discuss factors such as fluoride use, the diet that leads to the risk of cavities.
The Dental Exam
A thorough examination of your child’s teeth will be carried out with the child seated on your lap to make him or her feel more comfortable in the dentist’s office. Your dentist will:
- Show you how to clean the child’s teeth and allow you to practice in-office;
- Offer relevant and specific advice to be taken care of at home for hygiene, including instructions on the use of toothpaste and your child’s diet.
- Discuss what can be expected in the coming months in terms of your child’s growth.
- Schedule follow-up appointments.
Before you leave the office, you should be clear about:
- Your responsibilities;
- Your child’s development;
- Follow-up care by the dentist;
- Chances of your child having problems with cavities or his or her bite.
In the end, you should have your questions answered. If you are a new parent who is nervous about how to introduce your child to a dental environment, we would love to be your pediatric dentist in Pearland, Texas who understands your concerns for your children. Book an appointment with our office today!